Paymate Clarity now integrates with the QuickBooks® Online.
- Running at least version 6.20 or newer of Clarity
- Have posted the payroll you want to export from Clarity
- Have QBIS downloaded, installed, and configured correctly (*included when you purchase QBIS)
I. Setting Up Your GL Export Interface
- In Clarity, navigate to Setup > Preferences > Interfaces tab.
- At the top of the window, expand the "Default Export Interface" dropdown list and select either "Quick Books Online Details" and "Quick Books Online Summary". If you're not sure what the difference between these two are, see the bottom of this article.
- Click the checkmark icon at the top right of this window to save your selection.
II. Define Your GL Account Numbers/Names
- In Clarity, navigate to Setup > General Ledger Settings > GL Accounts > GL Accounts tab.
- Define your debit/credit account numbers for each department and payroll category that you have identified in your application. By default, QuickBooks® Online uses account names. To use account numbers, you will have to toggle this on in your QuickBooks® Online settings.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each department.
- Click the checkmark icon at the top right of this window to save your changes.
III. Export Your Payroll / GL Entries
- In Clarity, navigate to Payroll > Export > Export to G/L or Export to G/L Special.
- In the Preferences tab, verify that all the items here are accurate.
- In the Destination section is a field called "Export File Name". This is the field where you identify where your file will be exported in your local computer. Ensure that your file will be exported in .CSV format.
- Navigate to the GL Parameters tab.
- "Employee Identification": If and how you want your employees to be identified in the transaction, such as "<Blank>" for no identification, "<Employee Number>" for identifying by the employee's number, "<Employee Number + Surname + First Name>", or "<Employee Number + First Name + Surname>".
- Click "Export". Your file should now be downloaded to your specified destination. If this is not the computer that has QBIS installed, transfer this file to the correct computer.
IV. Use QBIS to Import Your File Into QuickBooks® Online
- Launch QBIS.
- If you exported the detailed export from Clarity, select 'Single Transaction'. If you exported the summary export from Clarity, select 'Summary Transaction'.
- Click "Browse" to open a window to select the exported file from Clarity.
- Click "Read" to allow QBIS to read the file you selected. Your GL entries should not be visible.
- Click "Verify" to allow QBIS to check that the file you selected is compatible. At the bottom of QBIS, it should read "Application complete to verify records".
- Click "Sync" to transfer your GL entries into QuickBooks® Online. The 'Status' should now read "Create successfully".
View our video guide here:
What is the difference between detailed and summary exports?
If you are using the Detailed export layout, then the interface will create transactions in your "Check" section of QuickBooks® showing the complete check and GL Details.
If you are using the Summary GL export layout, the entire transaction will appear as a single journal entry in QuickBooks®.